Joining the Trust
The Balcarras Trust is open to the prospect of growing in size over the next three years although we are keen to do so sustainably.
- The Trust has extensive experience of school leadership
- Balcarras School has been rated outstanding in every category by OFSTED in each of its last 4 inspections
- The Trust has extensive experience in curriculum design and delivery at secondary level including post 16
- The Trust leads two key regional initiatives, the GLOW Maths Hub and the Balcarras Teaching School Hub. Both of these are genuinely cross phase so that the Trust has access to expertise at both primary and secondary level
- The Trust’s turnover is currently around £10 million and we continue to carry an appropriate level of reserve
- We have always achieved balanced budgets
- The Trust’s financial operations is overseen by Tom Cadogan, CFO who is a highly experienced management accountant
- The Trust is expert at financial forecasting so that we are always seeking to operate ahead of the curve. This was certainly the case during the last decade when core funding was cut back extensively.
The Trust’s Central Services Team
The Trust’s Central Services Team is currently based at Balcarras School. This team provides all financial, payroll and HR support to the trust’s schools. All schools in the Trust pay a percentage of their GAG income to buy into the central services team.
The Trust has considerable expertise in IT and we have advised a number of other schools and trusts recently. Whilst IT doesn’t necessarily sit inside the central services team of the Trust we are able to offer expertise and support in this area.
The Trust’s Catering Team
Balcarras School operates a highly successful catering operation. We already provide catering for a school outside the Trust and exist as consultants for a number of other schools and trusts. The Balcarras Trust would be keen to work with schools who join our Trust to develop and improve their catering offer dependent on their current arrangements.